The Housing Authority of Gloucester County was formed in 1972 and since then has been successfully operating various housing programs. During that time the Authority has had two Board Chairs and three Executive Directors.
The current Executive Director, Mrs. Kimberly Gober, has a B.S. in Business Administration and Accounting and a Public Housing Management Certification through the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO). She joined our staff in 1994 and has served as Deputy Executive Director since 2013. Mrs. Gober has over 22 years of experience managing Housing Assistance Programs.
HAGC staff members are knowledgeable and trained on the Department of Housing & Urban Development program operations and requirements. All key staff members routinely attend conferences and/or training seminars sponsored by NAHRO, Nan McKay Associates, HUD and others.
HAGC also serves as the managing agent for the Housing Authority of the Borough of Glassboro.
CURRENT PROGRAMS ADMINISTERED/MANAGED BY HAGC
1. Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program - Tenant Based Assistance
The HAGC administers 1,928 units of tenant based rental assistance in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. The tenant generally pays 30% of their adjusted income towards rent and utilities and the Authority pays the rental assistance directly to third party landlords on behalf of the assisted tenants. The assisted dwelling units are subject to inspections in accordance with Housing Quality Standards promulgated by the U.S. Department of HUD.
2. Section 8 Moderate Housing Rehabilitation Program - Unit Based Assistance
The Authority currently has contracts with landlords totaling 15 units in the Moderate Rehabilitation Program. The tenant generally pays 30% of adjusted income towards rent and utilities and Authority pays the balance of contract rent directly to the property owner. The Housing Subsidy under the Section 8 Mod Rehab program remains with the unit. If the family moves, they lose their housing subsidy.
3. Colonial Park Apartments – Section 8 New Construction - Unit Based Assistance (Elderly Only)
Colonial Park Apartments, located at 401 South Evergreen Avenue, Woodbury, NJ is a Section 8 “New Construction” Program for elderly families, where the Head of Household or spouse are 62 years of age or older, whose incomes do not exceed 60% of the area median income. The building contains 200, one-bedroom apartments, of which 20 are modified for physically disabled person(s). Tenants pay 30% of their adjusted monthly income towards rent and utilities. Colonial Park has recently undergone a major renovation. The renovations were financed through the low income housing tax credit program.
4. Public Housing – Unit Based Assistance (Family/Elderly)
The Authority owns and operates 62 scattered-site single-family houses, located in Deptford Township, West Deptford Township, Monroe Township and Washington Township for certified eligible very low income families. These dwellings consist of 2, 3 and 4 bedroom homes. Applicants may express a desire to live in a specific community. Certified families pay 30% of their adjusted income, minus an allowance for tenant supplied utilities.
5. Public Housing - Unit Based Assistance (Elderly or Near Elderly Disabled)
The Housing Authority owns and operates two (2) one bedroom apartment buildings with an occupancy preference for the Elderly (age 62 or older) or the Near-Elderly Disabled (age 50 or older and disabled). Tenants generally pay 30% of their adjusted monthly income toward rent and utilities. The apartment buildings are as follows:
Carino Park Apartments - 100 Chestnut Street, Williamstown, NJ
100 Apartments, including 15 units with modifications for physical disabilities.
Deptford Park Apartments - 120 Pop Moylan Boulevard, Deptford, NJ
100 Apartments, including 10 units with modifications for physical disabilities.
6. Authority Owned/Operated Affordable Housing Programs
Nancy J. Elkis Seniors Housing Program (Elderly) -100 Pop Moylan Boulevard, Deptford, NJ
80 Apartments, including 5 units modified for physical disabilities. Admissions are limited to household whose head or spouse is 55 years of age or older. Affordable flat rents for elderly households, whose incomes do not exceed 60% of the median, as determined by HUD for Gloucester County.
Shepherd’s Farm Senior Housing (Elderly)- 981 Grove Road, West Deptford, NJ
75 Apartments, including 4 units modified for physical disabilities. Admissions are limited to household whose head or spouse is 62 years of age or older. Tenants pay 30% of their adjusted income for rent, minus a utility allowance.
Expanded Housing Opportunities Program (Family/Elderly/Disabled)
12 units of 3 and 4 bedroom single family units throughout West Deptford Township available for occupancy by low-income households at affordable flat rents.
7. Congregate Services Program
The Authority operates a Congregate Services program for the elderly, funded through the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs providing daily meals (self-prep), housekeeping, laundry and shopping services for the elderly.
8. Section 8 Project-Based Voucher Program-Unit Based Assistance
The Housing Authority of Gloucester County will administer 19 Project-Based Vouchers for veterans at Camp Salute located in Clayton, New Jersey. Eligible veterans will receive on-site services provided by the People to People Foundation.
9. HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing(VASH)- Tenant Based Assistance
The Housing Authority of Gloucester County administers 19 HUD-VASH vouchers for veterans referred by the Department of Veteran Affairs.
10. HOME Funds Program-Tenant Based Assistance
The Housing Authority of Gloucester County administers the HOME Funds program which is a tenant based rental assistance program funded by the Department of Public Works, Planning Division/HOME Investment Partnership Program (HOME). Applicants are referred by the Gloucester County Division of Social Services.
MANAGEMENT AGENT EXPERIENCE
Properties managed by the Housing Authority of Gloucester County are:
1. Deptford Park Apartments
120 Pop Moylan Blvd., Deptford, NJ 08096
Public Housing - 100 unit elevator complex for elderly/disabled
2. Carino Park Apartments
100 Chestnut Street, Williamstown, NJ 08094
Public Housing - 100 unit elevator complex for elderly/disabled
3. 62 Public Housing Scattered Site Units for Families in Deptford, West Deptford, Monroe and Washington Townships
4. Colonial Park Apartments, Section 8 New Construction+ LIHTC
401 So. Evergreen Avenue, Woodbury, NJ 08096
Owned by Colonial Park LP
200 unit elevator complex for elderly/disabled
5. Expanded Housing Program
12 Individual Houses Owned by Housing Authority of Gloucester County
Rented to Middle Income Working Families
First Settlement – 9/18/91; #12 9/25/92
6. 15 Mod Rehab Units (Unit Based Assistance)
Process applications, interview tenants, arrange for leases (tenants and landlords) and process checks for landlords. Current inventory is 15 units
7. Nancy J. Elkis Seniors Housing Authority of Gloucester County
100 Pop Moylan Blvd., Deptford, NJ 08096
Owned by Pop Moylan Urban Redevelopment Co., LLC
Tax Credit and NJHMFA Financed – Opened 1997, Dedicated February 23, 1998
80 Elevator Operated Units for 55 and older
· Admissions are limited to households whose head or spouse is 62 years of age or older. Affordable flat rents for elderly households whose incomes do not exceed 60% of the median for the County
8. Shepherd’s Farm Senior Housing
980 Grove Road, West Deptford, NJ 08086
Owned by Shepherd’s Farm Senior Housing at West Deptford, Inc.
75 Elevator Operated Units for 62 & Older
Opened December, 2004
· Admissions will be limited to households whose head or spouse are 62 years of age or older. Applicants with physical disabilities will be given priority consideration for units with physical modifications suited for their disability.
9. The Housing Authority of the Borough of Glassboro
181 Delsea Manor Drive, Glassboro, NJ 08028
HAGC administers the Housing Choice Voucher program for the Glassboro Housing Authority through an inter-local service agreement.
· Section 8 Vouchers - The program has 232 Housing Choice Vouchers.
· Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) - The Glassboro Housing Authority currently owns and operates three (3) developments designed for elderly or disabled persons. The developments contain efficiency, one, and two bedroom apartments. Tenants pay 30% of their adjusted monthly income towards rent and utilities.